What a freakin' weekend. Nothing but lessons and crazy adventure. Ashley and I decided to skip the lame ass excursion and go to Pisa and Lucca (Lucca is the home of Puccini for those who do not know). Ashley and I left at 9pm on Thursday. It was raining so on the way to the train station my pants were too long so got soaked almost to the knees and my bag got totally wet and became heavier. By the time I got to the train station I already knew I had brought the wrong bag! We finally got on the train and thus started our adventure. The train stopped at Civitanova and we did not know we were suppose to change trains because our ticket didn't tell us such. So a person walked down and said something in Italian and then said fanito, so we figured it was done and looked on the partenze schedule and figured out when our train to Ancona was departing. We ended up having to wait like 30min. and this weird ass old, old guy was walking around like he was drunk or something and this other old guy started to try to talk to us because he knew some English. We went away from this guy only to get on the train and out of the WHOLE EMPTY car he asked to sit with us. He then talked to us the whole time we were on our way to Ancona. I started to look out the window and not respond so Ashley who was directly across from him was stuck fending for herself. Half of his talking was her fault because she would ask questions and respond to the guy. I just wanted him to go away so we could travel in peace. The person coming to check our tickets stopped at the old, old guy and he had no ticket so there was quite some tension rising in the car. After the ticket collector left the old, old guy started to make weird noises and be even weirder and the old guy with us who had started to rock back an forth like a mental patient said it was dangerous to travel at night and I could only control myself as far as looking at him with a duh, your sitting with us, look. I held my tongue cause I didn't want any problems and didn't know how much longer we had till we got to Ancona.
Ancona could not have come any sooner and I practically ran off that train. He started to emit a very weird vibe and so avoided him for the next stop as well. Not sure where he was heading but glad we lost track of him. Nothing happened and he soon figured out we were avoiding him when he came to talk to us in Ancona and Ashley said, "Lets go check the time." Ancona to Bologna was uneventful except for the fact that we had to wait so long at each stop for our train. On the train to Bologna we tried to catch some sleep for the two hours we had. We were not in the best seating situation though so it made for some un-restful and cramped conditions. We were in a little six-seater room that is for the over night trains. Ashley and I were suppose to sit across from each other but one of the 4 guys in this cabin took the seat across from be before we even got on the train and we didn't know enough Italian to ask him to move. I was on an end so I tried to catch some sleep and snoozed for a little. Ashley I guess was so uncomfortable because she was in a center seat that she couldn't sleep at all and was also worried because the guy next to me I guess was staring at me. Good thing I never felt it or I wouldn't have been able to sleep.
Bolgna came and we got off only to have to wait another couple of hours to catch our next train leaving around 5:30am. At 5:30am I called home and finally talked to my Dad. Then the train came while I was on the phone and had to quickly get off and grab my bag and get onto the train. We were now on our way to Firenze (Florence). Once we got into Firenze we had to then get on a train to the main station of Firenze and then wait for our train to Pisa. LONG night.
We were so exhausted we hired a Taxi to get to our place which was called a camp ground. It was this little room with 2 beds and a private bath and was relative in-expensive and very close to the Leaning Tower. I took a nap and Ashley couldn't sleep so went and made some phone calls. A trend I would not see the last of. I slept for a good 3 hours and then Ashley came in crying so I woke up and tried to comfort her. It is in my nature to comfort people in distress, but she just cried so I woke up and got dressed to go see the Leaning Tower and anything else that struck our fancy.
I can not use words to describe the feeling of actually seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa in real life. I actually did the cliché thing and took a picture of me holding up the tower. We actually got to climb all the way to the top and I was so nervous cause I am afraid of heights to begin with and you actually feel like you are leaning and can see from various parts how it is leaning. We also went and saw a church that was really pretty but we couldn't take pictures while we were there. We then went to another church place (sorry terrible with names and don't have the info in front of me) and it was pretty neat. Not places we could spend hours in or anything. We went and had lunch then went shopping. I finally found something for my nephew and a good warm zip-up sweatshirt that has Italia on it and the colors as a little patch. I love it and am super glad I bought it. I also found a purse. It started to rain so we decided to go back and shower and then get ready for dinner. I really wanted to go back and catch the people who have the hand made things from Africa because there was this group who I really liked the look of their drums and thought it would be awesome to get one for my Dad. I did end up being able to get it and we then had an hour to wait for dinner so got a drink at the cafe right next door. We went and got Chinese food. Yes, Chinese in Italy....lol.
After dinner we went back and I slept well until 7:30am when our neighbors got up and showered and it sounded like they were showering in our bathroom not theirs. I also had to get up and go to the bathroom and low and behold my luck, I started my period. Good thing I was prepared.....
We finally got up at 10am and got ready to leave for Lucca. I was sooooooo looking forward to going and seeing Puccini’s apartments (rooms). We got to the train station in Pisa and I was so hungry that I went and got McDonald's and saw Heidi and Caroline and sat with them for a few. They were on their way to another place and had a stop in Pisa. We then sat while waiting for our train to come at like 12:36. I wrote in my journal about how it sucks that I was so miserable and in America I would have been able to find some pain relief but in Italy I had to wait till I could find a Farmacia in Lucca. I also wrote about the trip thus far. The ride to Lucca was uneventful.
Getting our room was another story. We arrived at the location the directions told us and when we got there the person who was needed was not available till 5pm. So we stored our luggage in the spare room/storage for extra beds. We then used the bathroom and headed out for sight seeing. We had such bad luck this weekend that the Puccini apartments were closed till 2006 for construction. We decided to go look at the churches....
Church number one...closed! So we were close to the theatre and decided to see if there was an opera that night.... after all it is Puccini’s home town.
Theatre....CLOSED! That’s right, they had a show the night before, Friday and a show the next night, Sunday. Ok, no big deal, won't let it ruin my stay. I got a schedule and will have to make a day trip in November for an opera.
Church number two....open and it was awesome. After everything else, this church was beautiful. There was a crucifix that is said to have been carved by Nicodemus, an apostle, and kept hidden till the 8th century when Bishop Gualfredo placed it on an unmanned ship which stopped near Luni. It was brought to Lucca by Bishop Giovanni I. I really liked it even though it was simple. The religious aspects and feel around it was amazing. I ended up buying a book on the Cathedral of San Martino, where we were, and a hand carved replica of the crucifix for my Godmother who is my Aunt Julie.
We then went and FINALLY found a farmacia and bought some ibuprofen and I was happy to know I wouldn't be miserable for much longer. We had to be back at the hostel by 5pm so we could get our room so we made our way there. We got there and he STILL was not there. So after waiting awhile we were allowed to stay in the spare room so Ashley was all pissy and I was reading my book. The lady came and told us after about half an hour that the guy would be there in 15min. So he came within half an hour and drove us to an apartment that was converted into a hostel. We had to pay up front and in cash but we had a place to lock our things, shower and sleep and it was warm and dry (it had been raining all day so had another wet day to lug my bag around in). It was just a little shady feeling because our passports were never checked and we had no reciept. We did end up getting a lower price though for all our trouble so that was an awesome surprise. We then showered and got ready to go out to dinner and to the bar.
The night was pretty uneventful but the way home was too eventful. We did end up meeting a guy who spoke english from Isreal and talked to him for a good hour or so.
We ended up taking the wrong train home and so missed our train in Bologna. We had to get a new ticket which thankfully only cost us 3 euros each. We then made our way to Civitanova only to find that there was ONE BUS back not a train (it is past 8pm at this point and we had started our wait in Lucca at 11am). So we had to find the bus stop and that took us about an hour which gave us like 15min. to wait for the bus. We finally got some good luck and got on the bus only to have this creepy guy sit behind us and keep talking to me asking me for my phone number. He then started to PET my hair and tell me how pretty it was. THREE times he did this and I just wanted to get home and settle back into things and make my plans for the next trip. I ended up getting home without incident and spent the night doing homework and cleaning myself up.
While waiting in Lucca I realized I had left my baby blanket in Pisa so called the place and had to try and get it sent back to me but had to send them information. Hopefully that will work out fine cause my information is on the way.
Another thing is I was in contact with Shannon all weekend and not DJ. So now I am at a point were it is like... I love DJ still and don't want to string Shannon along but DJ is not doing his part and so wonder if we ever will get back together. I keep thinking if nothing happens with DJ then I would definately pursue Shannon; if he is still available. I am so lost and confused and I hate being in situations like this and wish DJ would just tell me one way or another or be an asshole and not say nice things to me so I can try to get over him..... love sucks but then Shannon keeps reminding me of what it is like to get to know someone and have that excited feeling when talking to them or smile when reading e-mails or talking on the phone. Alright, this thing is already long enough, I will save my pathetic rantings for another time.
Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment