It is actually 1:25pm in Macerata, Italy and I have already been to language class, ran some errands with my roommate Melissa and uploaded some pictures from her camera. I actually dyed my hair last week. Wish I could upload a pic on this site but can't so if you really want to see leave your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
I started football on friday and boy is it different here. They actually get sponsors and have nice uniforms, have coaches for the various positions as well as a main coach. This is all for a team that I don't have to pay to play on. They are actually happy to have people who will commit to the team. The tough part is that I don't speak much Italian. I am getting better and understanding people but responding is even harder than understanding. No one but this one girl Natalie speaks both english and italian. I am going to the gym today and Natalie won't be there. She might not be around until friday and there is a game on tuesday and a practice on wednesday that I have to try to communicate getting a ride to.
I actually got really home sick this past weekend. Not sure why but I just really wanted to go home and be in firmiliar sirroundings and know that everyone speaks my language. It can get a little daunting and hard knowing that only 28 people speak your language fluently. I just wish I could skip the learning part and just know the language. I know that what I am doing in joining the team will allow me to understand so much more because I was able to understand someone more than my roommate last night and did a little translating. So that was nice. Definately have my proud moments.
Sara had her birthday on Wednesday. We all went to Il Pozzo and had dinner and drinks. She turned 23 and it was awesome cause almost everyone came and we all had an awesome time. Mellissa and I bought her a cake and so did Daniel. So we ended up having three cakes for people to eat and it was simply fabulous that everyone came to support her on her birthday. I can't imagine how hard it is to have your birthday when your abroad.
We had the most boring walking tour of Macerata on Friday. We did get to climb to the top of the clock tower and the view was absolutly stunning. I love how Macerata is on a hill top and you can actually see the Adriatic sea on a clear day. The country side right outside the city limits just adds to beauty of this place.
On saturday we went to Civitanova and it was awesome to go to the market. When I have my new atm card I will definately be visiting that market again. There were so many awesome things for rather nice prices there. We got to go to a nice beach for a short time after lunch too. It was so pretty. The other thing we got to do was go to the Dali exhibit. We got lots of free stuff. We got an awesome poster and postcards with some Dali paintings on them. They must really have been excited to have American students come visit. The professor that talked to us right before lunch also gave us some free post cards and tourist information. I was happy to get home though cause it was my Dad's birthday and I had been wanting to call him all day. I finally got to talk to them and it was really nice. I also talked to Becky, but she was shopping and so felt kind put off by the fact that she couldn't wait like 15minutes and actually give me her undivided attention. Its not like I am close by or anything. I actually took time and money and called her from Italy. The least she could do was tell me to call another time or just stop what she was doing and actually talk to me. I was a little put off....
Sunday ended up being the laziest day ever. I didn't even get out of bed till 2:10 so ended up missing mass.... boo. I then didn't even leave my apartment till some time after 4. I finally got ahold of Jenna when I got home at like 10 something. I had been wanting to talk to her all day too. This week will be filled with soccer and school and I definately think I will become kind of the out cast since I am doing stuff outside of what the group is participating in. I keep telling people who are also interested in playing football that they should but I think they are too chicken. I am proud of myself for taking this extra step and really involving myself in the culture.
I miss you all back home!! Hope things are going great!!
Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment